Forms 4.5 Excessive Stacking

From: Neville Sweet <sweet.neville.nj_at_bhp.com.au.no_junk_email>
Date: 14 Aug 1998 03:26:53 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on avoiding an excessive stack of forms created by using CALL_FORM.

Our application has multi-record List and single-record Detail programs written as separate forms. A List calls a Detail form with CALL_FORM. Using CALL_FORM allows the detail form to return to the list by exiting the stacked program.
In the detail form you can also use the menu and replace the Form with another (which uses NEW_FORM).
This form may itself be a list with an associated detail form. Repeat this over a number of hours or days and sooner or later the PC will run out of memory. Even if you don't, it appears confusing to an end-user when they hit Exit and end up in one or more screens that they were in hours earlier.

Anyone have some ideas on how this may be avoided without redesigning the application?
We have a large number of production programs, so I'm searching for a solution that doesn't involve changing every program. We use a run-time library procedure when calling forms (which for example ensures you don't select the same form you're in).
I am unaware of any mechanism within Forms to detect when an instance of a form is already stacked, for instance, or to discover which forms are stacked, or even how many.

Admittedly this is a design problem not restricted to Oracle Forms, so if anyone has any general solution I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
Neville Sweet.
Email: sweet.neville.nj_at_bhp.com.au.no_junk_email Received on Fri Aug 14 1998 - 05:26:53 CEST

Original text of this message