Oracle Transparent Gateway / Sybase - Performance

From: <chris_at_ploppy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:49:20 GMT

Hi,
I have installed Oracle Transparent Gateway (OTG) on HP-UX which links to a Sybase DB (v11.5) across an ISDN line.

I have also written a Java JDBC server which effectively does the same thing
(albeit with very limited functionality)

The problem is there is a massive difference in speed. Java seems to be about 5 or 6 times faster on queries which return 1 row, and about 3 times faster for queries that return 100 rows. (I listed my stats at the end of the message)

My questions are:
1) Has anyone else experienced such a slow response for Sybase OTG 2) I have turned off all logging. Is there anything else I can look at to optimise.

Stats

Times take to execute queries which return a different number of rows

Rows Returned   OTG     JDBC

(ROWS) (SECS) (SECS)
1 5 1 10 6 1 50 8 2 100 12 4 200 20 11 500 49 34 2900 249 191