Re: Tuning Oracle

From: (wrong string) ål A. Ekern <n.a.ekern_at_usit.uio.no>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:35:40 +0200

Svein Ormel wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm looking for a book on creating stored procedures and triggers, was told
> that Tuning Oracle (Corey,Abbey and Dechichio; Osborne McGraw-Hill/Oracle
> Press 1995) is what I need.
>
> Any opinions are welcome.

Your primary need is a pl/sql book, not a tuning book. I recommend these: (priority in parantheses)
Oracle manuals:
(1) PL/SQL programming, Oracle Press, by Urman. Buy the Oracle8-version, it covers 7 as well.
(2) Oracle manual: Application developer's guide (3) Oracle manual: PL/SQL user's guide and reference

I see someone mentions Feuerstein's books, I have them but do not recommend them, Urman's book is IMO much better both in layout and content.

After learning the basics you might want to dig into tuning, locking, etc. I recommend these:
(1) Oracle manual: Server Concepts Guide (2) Advanced Oracle Tuning and Administration, (Aronoff, Loney, Soanawalla), Oracle Press.

Hilsen Njål

--
Njål Arild Ekern, ADB-seksjonen USIT
Postboks 1059 Blindern, 0316 OSLO