Dos commands in ORACLE

From: <vrajah_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:29:09 GMT

I am learning Oracle to check whether my back office s/w which currently runs on FAXBASE and a HTML search facility can be upgraded to ORACLE 8.0.

Basically we check our DATABASE for records which are in a range say DATA which are 2 to 6.5 years old and then we do a search for a specific word in a corresponding text file, say the word INSTRUMENTATION in a offline dos application. A typical sample could be all research papers which are presented 2 to 6.5 years back on the subject INSTRUMENTATION. A simillar work is done in a search engine like hotbot. While I can list all file pointers to records in the range of 2 to 6.5 years old using s simple SQL query in ORACLE, how can I create a directory of all corresponding files in a separate directory or Folder. FOXBASE can do this with a command that starts with '!' in FOX prompt. Say !copy c:\files\filename.txt c: \scan. How is this done in ORACLE? I am capable of writing simple programs in ORACLE 8.0 PL/SQL and Developer 2000. Can anyone suggest a way out!

K.Vibu Rajah