Re: Running Developer200 (v1.2 ) with PO7.2 for Win95

From: Kurian <kurian.kattukkaran_at_priority-health.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:45:41 -0400

MAHMED117 wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying out PO7.2 for Win95, which is a 32-bit database with Developer
> 2000 (V.1.2 for Windows) which is a 16-bit application on a standalone PC.
>
> I installed PO7.2 for Win95 first and then D2k in the same directory ORAWIN95.
> My problem is that I am unable to connect to Forms4.5.6.33 using various
> username/password combinations such as scott/tiger, demo/demo, system/manager.
> The database box is left blank. The error I get is ORA - 12154. TNS:COULD NOT
> RESOLVE SERVICE NAME.
>
> My understanding is that the 32-bit database PO7.2 for win95 and the 16-bit
> developer2000 (v1.2 for windows) are not interacting with each other.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Masood

I had the same problem, i have got answer from your guess!!! Now I have installed Developer2000 for WINDOWS95 and everything works fine.

Here is a mail i had send to another person who had same problem...????????

I got it !!!
I could work with new version of Developer2000 for WINDOWS95 and Personal ORACLE for WINDOWS95.
Now I have both ORACLE & Developer 2000 windows95 32-bit versions installed and things are working fine.
Initially I had problem of different versions of ORACLE (32-bit Windows95) and
Forms (16-Bit Old windows version, which i have got it from a Book CD).

The following are some guide-lines to get PERSONAL ORACLE and Developer2000 working together.
If U have already done it, please ingnore the following suggestions.

I have insatlled PERSONAL ORACLE for WINDOWS95 and Developer2000 for WINDOW95.
While insatlling make sure that all old versions are removed and only one new version to be installed.
Select all Products form ORACLE installer, If U don't require don't take all Language files.

After installation
  Configure a SQL*Net ALIAS for your ORACLE database

  • Start
    • ORACLE FOR WINDOWS95 -> SQL*Net EASY Configuration.
      • ADD a database ALIAS. Name the Database ALIAS anything you would like.
        • Select TCP/IP as your protocol Adaptor.
        • Enter IP address for the TCP/IP Host name (127.0.0.1)
      	   Configuration information  (example)
	         --------------------------
	           Database Alias       :     testdb
	           Protocol                 :     TCP/IP
	           Host name             :     127.0.0.1
	           Database Instance  :     ORCL

	"HERE IS THE CATCH - Host Name    127.0.0.1  nothing but LOCAL host PC.
Its a loop-back address."

Make sure following two files are availabale on proper directories, before U start developer 2000:-
If not create it.

  1. C:\ORAWIN95\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora

The following is contents of LISTENER.ORA file

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = Pluto)
          (Port = 1521)
        )
        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = 127.0.0.1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )
#        (ADDRESS =
#          (PROTOCOL = SPX)
#          (Service = Pluto_lsnr)
#        )

  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ADMIN
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = ORCL)
    )
  )

2. C:\ORAWIN95\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora

The following is contents of TNSNAMES.ORA file

Beq-local.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = beq.world)
          (PROTOCOL = BEQ)
          (PROGRAM = oracle73)
          (ARGV0 = oracle73ORCL)
          (ARGS = '(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )
Tcp-loopback.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = 127.0.0.1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

Now START DEVELOPER2000 for WINDOW95 -> Forms Designer

Enter username    SCOTT                        or  system
Enter Password    TIGGER                       or manager
AND leave blank for CONNECT STRING

NOW it will start PERSONAL ORACLE in the background,if not available and U will available to see all ORACLE objects. Enjoy working with forms

Sti!! if U have any problem to use Developer2000, please do reply. Sorry to keep E-mail too long!!!.
Make it a try and if U get it, enjoy ORACLE & Developer2K products.

Thankx
Kurian Received on Fri Jul 17 1998 - 15:45:41 CEST

Original text of this message