Re: Forms 4.5 calling Excel using OLE2

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 14 Jul 1998 05:50:42 GMT

>I have a problem when using Forms 4.5 OLE2 commands to call an Excel
>worksheet that contains a macro. When the call is made, WINDOWS95
>resources are drained to an unacceptable level.
>
>The application I am working on currently extracts data from an ORACLE
>database and writes it to a .txt file using the forms TEXT_IO command.
>An Excel file containing macros (including Auto_Open) is then called
>which automatically reads the text file, formats it and sends it to a
>printer.

I was working on a similar task - sending output from Forms to MSWord. That worked out well using the OLE2 package. However, in attempting the same thing for Excel, Oracle sent me a document that said how to do it , but it did not work form NT4.0 clients. Oracle claimed that Microsoft changed the OLE2 specs somewhere and NT4.0 would not work. For our purposes, this was OK, since the Word output was in a MSWord Table. If the user wanted the output in Excel, they can cut the table from Word and paste it into Excel manually.

Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Tue Jul 14 1998 - 07:50:42 CEST

Original text of this message