Creating Tab-Delimited Output from Tables

From: <rthorne_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 02:49:53 GMT

[Quoted] Personal Oracle 8 allows you to "Export to file": create a tab-delimited file that contains all rows and columns of a
 table. I need to same capability from the command line, and can't figure out how to get it.

 I've tried playing with sqlplus, which *almost* does what I want:

 set colsep X'09';
 SET NEWPAGE 0;
 SET SPACE 0;
 SET LINESIZE 1000;
 SET PAGESIZE 0;
 SET ECHO OFF;
 SET FEEDBACK OFF;
 SET HEADING OFF;
 spool tstout.txt;
 select * from my_table;
 exit;
 /

 The problem is that Oracle is padding all of my fields to their full defined length, rather than the actual length of the  varchar2 fields.

 Is there any way to get sqlplus to stop padding the fields? Or is there a better tool to use to get the effect I want?

 Thanks!