TO_DATE clarification

From: Dennis M. Hancy <dw724_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Date: 30 Jun 1998 13:53:07 GMT

[Quoted] I need some basic understanding to the TO_DATE function. I think I know how it works, but I would appreciate it if someone could confirm what I think I know about it!

First of all, is it true that the function takes two arguments? The first being the character string you want to convert, and the second being the format that the first string is in?

[Quoted] Now, if this is true.. suppose I need to convert the string "January 5, 1996". Would this be the correct syntax of the TO_DATE function:

to_date('January 5, 1996', 'MMMM D, YYYY') ?

[Quoted] Can someone also tell me what all the date/time conversions are? For example, is "MMMM" the right format specifier to indicate that the name of the month is spelled out? Is anyone aware of any online documention on this subject? Or better yet, can someone recommend a reference manual where I can look up this stuff on my own?

[Quoted] Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

You can either email me at:
  dennishancy_at_eaton.com or
  dw724_at_cleveland.freenet.edu

Alternatively, you can post your response here. Thanks again.

Dennis Received on Tue Jun 30 1998 - 15:53:07 CEST

Original text of this message