handling large tables in oracle 8

From: Neeraj Mital <nmital_at_statestreet.com>
Date: 1998/06/18

[Quoted] Hello folks,

I have a large table, which I want to split into many tables all stored on the same database. All the tables will be identical except that each will contain different set of records based on some keys. Does oracle 8 provide any support for this.

This seems to be similar to horizontal partitioning, except that in horizontal partitioning, the different tables are stored in different instances of the database, in my case all tables will be identical, have different names, stored on same database, and contain records based on certain keys.

Another related question is - have you come across apps where this has been. [Quoted] What were the benefits of doing it.

Do you know any limits on the number of records in Oracle 8, after which system does not behave properly or the queries (even indexed) become slow.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

neeraj
neeraj_at_tiac.net Received on Thu Jun 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message