Re: HELP FOR ERROR IN DATABASE WIZARD

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_jeffreyjacobs.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:11:59 GMT

You are very unlikely to get this to work.

  1. Get rid of all of your M:M relationships. There are lots of reasons for this, including
    1. the tool doesn't handle it well. All sorts of bugs.
    2. your analysis is incomplete. At the end of analysis, there shouldn't be any M:M relationships. These are hiding important information about your business. (This is the first thing I look for when doing a QA audit; I would be in a meeting with management within 30 minutes of walking in the door about these).
  2. Subtypes are a major problem, as the implementation options are very limited, and FKs can be a problem. Using M:M only compounds the problem.

However, your immediate bug is more likely that the "Description" text for one of your attributes has a line that is longer than 72 characters.

"Eduardo verdia" <eduardo_at_iglobal.es> wrote:

>Hello all
>
>We need help about a problem with database wizard:
>
> Our entity relationship has over 30 entities .. and we use subtypes with
>many to many relationships to others.
> When the generator begins, it writes this following:
>
> Posting preferences to database ...
> Create table-entity 'E2:E2'
> Posting multi line text for table 'E2' to the repository ..
> In this point it says:
>
> " ORA-06502:PL/SQL: number error or value
> ORA-06512:in 'EDU.RMMTXI' in line 624
> ORA-06512:in 'EDU.RMMTXI' in line 356
> ORA-06512:in 'EDU.RMMTXI' in line 75
> ORA-06512:in 'EDU.RMOTEXT' in line 80
> ORA-06512:in 'EDU.RMOTEXT' line 12"
>
>Where EDU is the repository owner in designer 2000, E2 is one of the
>entities is a subtipe of E
>and has an atributte TXT (varchar2(2000)).
>we work with oracle 8 ( in server side .. NT 4.0 ) and designer2000 1.3.2 (
>in the client side ... win95).

-JJ

Visit our new website at http://www.jeffreyjacobs.com

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle Designer/2000 Consulting & Training  951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119, Belmont, CA 94002  Voice: 650-571-1457, FAX: 800-665-1379
 Email: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com
 Web: http://www.jeffreyjacobs.com

Don't miss ODTUG's Spring Conference, June 2-5, Palm Spring, CA. See http://www.odtug.com for more information! Received on Wed Jun 17 1998 - 20:11:59 CEST

Original text of this message