Dynamic LOVs

From: Ed Jennings <jenningse_at_domain-tech.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 07:33:46 -0400

[Quoted] I'm using FORMS 4.5 on an NT platform. I have a series of 4 List Items. The first List Item is populated via a Record Group when the Form is opened. The remaining 3 List Items need to have their Lists created dynamically based on the selected values of the previous List Items. i.e. After selecting a value for List Item 1, List Item 2 now needs to contain a subset of values that are restricted by the value of List Item 1. After selecting a value for List Item 2, List Item 3 now needs to contain a subset of values that are restricted by the value of List Items 1 & 2.

For example, if you were selecting criteria for a map, the first item (country) would contain all countries. Once a country was selected, the second item (state), should contain a list of only the states within the selected country. Likewise, the next item (city), should contain a list of only the cities within the selected country and state.

And to make it just a bit more complicated; these items are in a detail block that displays three records at a time. I don't want the other items to become invalid because the List changed. I'd rather that each record could be changed without any impact to the others. Think of it as a lookup table with multiple attributes. It will be queries and then updated in place.

Can anyone provide some guidance on how this can be done????

TIA Ed Jennings

--
The opinions expressed here are my own, not those of Domain Technologies