Re: Data Warehouse - stripe or not?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 19:53:42 GMT

Rather than give a general, blanket statement (because so much is still actually application-dependent), you should take a look at an article I recently read in "NT Systems" magazine. The gentleman who wrote it gives a very lucid explanation of the differing RAID levels, what applications they are good for, and also gives results of a not-so-exhaustive performance benchmark. It is certainly insightful, and well worth your while. It can be found at:

        http://www.ntsystems.com/db_area/archives/1998/9805/205c1.htm

Hope this helps.

On Fri, 22 May 1998 15:36:50 GMT, rad_at_earthling.net wrote:

>What RAID configuration do you use for data warehouse data table spaces?
>
>For a data warehouse, most data is written sequentially. Would there be
>better performance with non-stripped sets?
>
>How would optimal is this config:
>
>redo logs - RAID1
>indexes, read/write tables - RAID 1/0
>warehouse data - RAID 1/0 or RAID 5
>
>Comments?

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

[Quoted] The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sun May 24 1998 - 21:53:42 CEST

Original text of this message