Re: Connecting through SQL*Plus error

From: John Stoffel <jfs_at_fluent.com>
Date: 15 May 1998 14:42:35 -0400

"Mac Lazarus" <mac.lazarus_at_eds.com> writes:

> I am trying to connect to an Oracle 7.3.3 database on a SunOS 5.6 using
> SQL*Plus on a NT 4.0 client. I believe the tnsnames.ora file is set up
> properly because I can successful tnsping the database. However, when I
> try to connect in SQL*Plus, I get an "ORA-01034 Oracle Not Available" error
> message.

> I can log directly on to UNIX and connect through SQL*Plus on the server.

> Has anyone seen a problem like this?

I've run into exactly this problem on my system here as well, though I'm running Solaris 2.5.1 instead of 2.6.

As I remember, you need to check a couple of different things.

Make sure you have the right format in your listener.ora file. Here's what I have in mine, note that paths will change of course! I've also mucked around with the dbora startup script to make sure I fire up a listener process properly on system startup. Also make sure you have an entry in /etc/services, like this:

listener        1521/tcp                        # Oracle Listener (Lawson)

And the listener.ora file:

    LISTENER=

     (ADDRESS_LIST=
      (ADDRESS=
       (PROTOCOL=IPC)
       (KEY=LWSN)
      )
      (ADDRESS=
       (PROTOCOL=TCP)
       (HOST=lawson)
       (PORT=1521)
      )
     )

    STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
    CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10     SID_LIST_LISTENER=

     (SID_LIST=
      (SID_DESC=
       (SID_NAME=LWSN)
       (ORACLE_HOME=/accounting/oracle/app/oracle/product/7.3.3)
       (GLOBAL_DBNAME=LWSN.lawson.fluent.com))
     )

    TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = true
    USE_CKPFILE_LISTENER = true
    USE_PLUG_AND_PLAY_LISTENER = true
    PASSWORDS_LISTENER = () Then for my tsnames.ora file I have:

    lawson = (DESCRIPTION=

	       (ADDRESS=
		    (PROTOCOL=TCP)
		    (PORT=1521)
		    (HOST=lawson))
		    (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=LWSN)
	    ))

Let me know if I can help out more.

John

     John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Fluent, Inc.
        jfs_at_fluent.com - http://www.fluent.com - 603-643-2600 x341
             Geological time is not money.  - Mark Twain