Re: Fetching previous records in OCI

From: Jagdish Rajan <jagdish_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/04/28

Thanks Mark! I had started implementing it with the ROWIDs but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious here. The one problem is that I may have a recordset of 100,000 rows that I will have to scroll back and forth through. This of course will require some kind of a virtual cache.
BTW in Oracle 8.x you can use the extended rowid to get a unique & valid value rather than the restricted rowid that was used in 7.x.

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:59:36 GMT, marktoml_at_gdi.net (mark tomlinson) wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Apr 1998 23:49:44 GMT, jagdish_at_worldnet.att.net (Jagdish
>Rajan) wrote:
>
>>Since OCI's OCIStmtFetch() function only supports OCI_FETCH_NEXT for
>>its orientation paramater how does one retrieve a previous record
>>within a statement handle?
>>
>>Jagdish
>>(jagdish_at_worldnet.att.net)
>
>Well, with 7.3 OCI a common trick was to cache the rowids locally and
>then you could effectively scroll back. With 8m and no guarantee of
>always being able to obtain a valid rowid, this may or may not work
>for you still.

Thank you.
Jagdish (jagdish_at_worldnet.att.net) Received on Tue Apr 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message