Passing value from table into variable.

From: Eva M. <knowacz_at_usa.net_NoSpamPlease>
Date: 1998/04/18

Hello All,
I have problems with a simple thing, because I have never used this up to now: I need to look up a column in a table and get only ONE value into variable in my stored procedure.
I need to figure out how to do it so badly.. Please HELP!

Example of what I'm trying to do is not working because it shows me error when I'm trying to run the PROC_A procedure -"wrong type or number of arguments":

[Quoted] Procedure PROC_A (control_date in out date)

   IS
begin
select max(nvl(to_char(rec_date,'yyyymmdd'),'is null'))

       into control_date --this is character string from table1;
END;
-- I need the maximum value of rec_date from table1, if null then

  • I assign my variable to some string

When I try to write similar stuff but without (in out ) parameters, I'm not able to do it at all.

Do you have any ideas how to do it quickly? Any help much appreciated.
Greetings,

Eva Maciasz,
McGill University
Montreal, Canada Received on Sat Apr 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message