Net8 vs SQL*Net

From: Anne-Marie Ternes <anne-marie.ternes_at_cie.smtp.etat.lu>
Date: 1998/04/02

Tim Taylor wrote:

> Anne-Marie,
>
> The answers to your questions are yes and yes. Net8 is the successor to
> SQL*Net 2.3. There are new features in Net8 such as Connection Pooling,
> Host Naming, and new Java wizards to aid in configuration. SQL*Net 2
> clients can connect to Net8 listeners and Net8 clients can connect to
> SQL*Net 2 listeners.
>
> Tim

Hello Tim,
first of all thank you very much for your reply! Here are just a few more questions to check if I understand the matter correctly:

  • Oracle 8 only works with Net8? [Quoted]
  • Consider the following situation: we need to have Oracle8 because of [Quoted] the new version of SAP. So, if Oracle8 only works with Net8, we are forced to have Net8. However, we also have Oracle7 systems that must go on running. The questions are:
    • can/should we have only Net8 for both Oracle versions?
    • can Net8 and Sql*Net2 live together (as you suggest)?
    • can SQL*Net2 handle Oracle8 (as long as no OO is used)?
  • Supplementary questions:
    • can Oracle8 work together with Enterprise Server 3.x?
    • can Oracle8 work together with Solaris 2.5?

I hope I'm not taking too much of your time. I'm new to the DBA business and I am grateful for any help provided. Thank you very much,

Anne-Marie Ternes

anne-marie.ternes_at_cie.etat.lu Received on Thu Apr 02 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message