Recursive Triggers

From: Marty Manix <manixm_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1998/03/31

I have a table structure that uses a parent/child relationship. A record can have a parent which is the primary key of that parent. The record at the top of the tree has no parent.

I would like to have updates to a child record be reflected or rolled up to each of the parent records above the record being updated. I had hoped to use an update database trigger that only updates the parent, which will re-fire the trigger to update the parent's parent, etc. Kind of like a recursive firing of the trigger until the record no longer has a parent.

I keep getting errors of the ilk... Table is mutating; trigger or procedure may not know of changes.

Any ideas?

Marty Received on Tue Mar 31 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message