Re: Forms4.5 Performance Over WAN

From: Vincent Moynihan <vince_at_vmoy.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/28

Rajesh Sinha wrote:

> The client I am working for has a 64K Token Ring WAN connecting
> UNIX SP2 Machines with Clients.
>
> In a typical Two-tier Client server Env with Forms4.5 running on
> Client Win95 M/Cs with Oracle 7.3.2 backend on SP2, is it
> possible to support a 400-500 peak time concurrent user base
> executing Forms application. I have been told that Forms Base
> Table Queries write explicit SQL statements which require quite a
> lot of N/W round trips which clog N/W pretty fast.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this : Or do we have to write the
> application in Forms5.0 to use APIs instead of Basetable queries?
>
> Thanx
>
> Rajesh
>

> --
> All opinions expressed are mine and P&O NL is has nothing to do
> with them

  I have just finished working on a highly successful project where all of the Forms 4.5 clients connected to the server via a 64Kps WAN. More over each site, comprising upto 5 clients, used only one 64Kps line. The key factors which made the deployment of forms a success over the WAN were:

  1. Base all Forms 4.5 blocks on views. The views should carry out all denormalisation of FK descriptions on the database. IE the forms blocks or items therein should NOT have 'when-validate-*' triggers to get additional information for the block from the server. Note you will have to create insert,update and delete stored procs for each table and call them from the 'On-Insert','On-Update' and 'On-Delete' triggers. Consider using SQL scripts to generate as much code as possible. I have produced such scripts.
  2. Set the 'auto refresh' property on as many LOV's as possible to false. This isn't always possible as some LOV's show lists which depend upon what the user has just entered.
  3. Consider replacing the forms default locking mechanism with a check against a derived system column on each table.
  4. Use a tool like Optimal Application Expert which can capture the network traffic in say a LAN development environment and predict, with good accuracy, the performance over differing network topologies.

Please email me if you would like more information on these techniques. Received on Sat Mar 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message