Re: Developer 2000

From: <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1998/03/27

In article <6fcofo$404_at_bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,   jstrano_at_dulcian.com wrote:

> There are two ways to accomplish this:
>
> 1. Turn your query into a view and base your block in this view
> 2. Base your block on the query itself. Syntax is:
> (SELECT --- FROM --- WHERE ---)
>
> Any items in the select statement can be used as base table items. Insert
> and Update allowed must be set to FALSE. The parenthesis are required.
>
> The first solution is quicker and cleaner.
>
> Joe Strano
> Dulcian, Inc.

There isn't a day goes by that I don't learn something new. I have never before heard of doing that, but I just tried it, and it works! Pretty slick...

I created a block, then in the block's Base Table property, I entered:   (SELECT ROWID,COL1,COL2 FROM TABLE_X)
with the parentheses included. Then I created two text items in my block, COL1 and COL2.

The form generated, ran, and I can both query AND update rows. It looks like it would insert, too, but I left out some mandatory columns.

Amazing.... Thank you, Joe!

Regards,
Steve Cosner