Re: BMC Patrol (Need your comments)

From: Peter Cugier <pcugier.nospam_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1998/03/25

Richard Creasey wrote in message <351a63d7.7155269_at_news.mindspring.com>...
>Hi
>
> I'm soliciting for your comments on BMC Patrol as a Database
>monitoring and data managment tool for Oracle & SQL Server.
>
>Please tell me what you suggest for a Enterprize DBMS Mgt.
>tool.
>
>Thanks
>
>Richard Creasey

I implemented BMC's Patrol two years ago as a centrelaized monitoring toll for the companies distributed systems. It is a great monitoring tool, especially if you want to monitor multiple different platforms and systems. We used it for Digital VMS, Digitial UNIX, AIX and Oracle. If you only want to monitor and manage Oracle and SQL Server databases there are probably better database management tools on the mark. Look at the tools form Platinum or Quest Software's AdHawk.

I think Patrol is the right choice if you mainly want ot monitor your databases and also your operating system. If management is your first objective you probably should look at a different solution.

Peter Cugier Received on Wed Mar 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message