Re: Granting privileges thru a role Vs. Granting them directly.

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/03/20

A copy of this was sent to "kunsha" <annajvk_at_juno.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:23:20 -0700, you wrote:

>What are the implications of using one over the other.
>I know that they can be different. However, logically, I
>do not see a reason why this should be.
>
>Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
>JV.

the major difference between the two is that if I have a privelege via a role, I cannot create a stored object (view, procedure, trigger, etc) that accesses that object/privelege. That is, if you (as scott) grant select on EMP to CONNECT, then everyone who logs in can "select * from scott.emp" but they will not be able to create a view on scott.emp. If you grant select on emp to BOB, then BOB will be (if he is allowed to create views) create a view that references scott.emp...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Mar 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message