Re: Doable? Reverse one DB & and apply structure to many? Des2K

From: VIAENEH <VIAENEH_at_btmaa.bel.alcatel.be>
Date: 1998/03/06

Richard Kaiser wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got production designer and dev2k (1.3) installed,
> Reversed existing db tables, all is fine.
>
> I'd like to setup one db (relationships & ERD type
> stuff) in designer, snip ....

If the names of tables (and evt. views) are the same in all db's, then you can define other databases in your Designer and run the table generation from Designer against each of the databases : mind to fill in the correct database reference when executing the script. You need to generate the forms, reports only once.

> (in a perfect world...)
> The user will do a quick selection of which db
> they'd like to use, and reports will run off
> that db. I only have to setup one set of reports,
> and users get reports for any number of db's.

The user must fill in the correct database reference when logging in and then run his forms, reports.

> Problem: the Rev Eng tool links to the specific db
> (Oracle account) being reversed, and I don't know how
> to identify, and modify that value to point elsewhere.
>
> (in an evil world...)
snip ...

No evil world needed

> Please excuse word flaws as I've grown up in VB4 and Access
> and have more of an idea of what I want to do, than
> how to actually do it.
>
> I'm hoping that I'll be able to indirectly reference
> the db in one place (I like dreamin...)
>
> Any help is appreciated, please feel free to tell me
> to RTFM if you reference which manual.
>
> Rich,

Herman Viaene
Berkenrodelei 33, B-2660 Hoboken, Belgium
Division: Radio Space and Defence
Tel: (32/3)8295591
Fax: (32/3)8295502
OIS-mail: viaeneh_at_AM_at_BTMA97
Internet-mail: viaeneh_at_btmaa.bel.alcatel.be
X400: Viaene Herman
(C=BE,A=RTT,P=ALCANET,OU1=BELA1,O=ALCATEL,S="Viaene",G="Herman")