Re: oracle from msaccess, more questions

From: Tim McConechy <tmcconec_at_gulf.uvic.ca>
Date: 1998/03/02

If you have the Oracle 8 CD use Oracle Migration Assistant for MS Access works great, Must be Access 7.0.

Note: Access tables with two or more MEMO or OLE datatype columns, which need to be mapped to a LONG or LONGRAW on Oracle8, are not converted. The Oracle Migration Assistant for Microsoft Access tries to convert these datatypes to a VARCHAR2(2000) so the table can be converted. However, if the existing data does not permit this, the Access table is not converted. Change the Access structure to move the additional MEMO or OLE columns to a separate table. Oracle8 does not support two LONG columns in one table.

Needs these requirements (from the help file!) 1 Ensure that the Oracle8 database is installed and running. 2 Ensure that you have an Oracle8 user account with database administration (DBA) privileges. These privileges are needed so that you can create the Oracle8 usernames and tablespaces to which to migrate your Access database.
3 Ensure that the computer running Oracle8 has enough free disk space for the Oracle8 data files to store your migrated database. If you are migrating your data, estimate that you need free disk space at 2.15 times the size of the Access database files. If you are migrating only the structure and not the data, then estimate 2 MB of disk space per Access database that you migrate. The data files are created in the default location for Oracle8 data files.

4 Ensure that you can connect to Oracle8. The Oracle Migration Assistant for Microsoft Access must be able to connect to Oracle8 in order to migrate your database. If the Oracle8 database is on a server across a network, Net8 must be installed and configured on your computer for you to connect to Oracle8.
5 If you want your Access forms and reports to work with your Oracle8 database, configure an ODBC data source name from your computer (where your Access files reside) to your Oracle8 database. Use the ODBC Administrator to add a data source name for the Oracle8 server. The ODBC data source name enables you to connect to your Oracle8 database.

Note: To connect to your Oracle8 database, first configure Net8 and then the ODBC data source name before running the Oracle Migration Assistant for Microsoft Access.

6 Ensure that your computer is running Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0. These are the only computer systems on which the Oracle Migration Assistant for Microsoft Access is supported.
7 Ensure that you have free disk space on your computer equal to .21 times the size of the Access databases to migrate. This free space must be located on the same disk on which the Oracle Migration Assistant for Microsoft Access is installed. The Oracle Migration Assistant for Microsoft Access needs this disk space for storing intermediate migration information.

8 Ensure that you have installed the 32-bit Oracle Objects for OLE for Windows 95 or Windows NT version 2.1.3.2. 9 Ensure that you have installed Oracle8 ODBC Driver version 8.0.3. 10 Ensure that your computer has 8 MB of free system RAM.

--
Tim McConechy
Database Administrator/Programmer Analyst