FORMS Master/Detail BLocks

From: Ed Jennings <jenningse_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/02/19

[Quoted] I have a schema with the following tables (among others).

TABLE A

	PHONE		Number	Primary Key

REMARK_ID Number Foreign Key to TABLE C (COMMENT_ID) TABLE B TRANSAC_NUM Number Primary Key
NOTES_ID Number Foreign Key to TABLE C (COMMENT_ID) TABLE C COMMENT_ID Number Primary Key COMMENTS LONG

As you can see, all of the free-form text for all of the tables is stored in a single table (joined with numeric id's) that isolates the highly volatile data elements from the rest of the data. For my application, I am only interested in TABLEs A & C. I have created a block for TABLE A, and I am attempting to create a block for TABLE C, specifying BLOCK A as the master block. Unfortunately, since there is not a foreign key from TABLE C back to TABLE A, FORMS won't provide any master block choices. I can't add a foreign key since TABLE C contains data joined to TABLE B also.

I could probably change the schema to create many tables similiar to TABLE C, and therefore have the rows in each TABLE C 'clone' all be owned by a single master table. This would be a pain since I would need 12 of them, and most would contain only a few hundred rows.

Is there another option? Perhaps some way to link the blocks via triggers?
This particular block is one that will be used for insert & updates, so I
opted against a view. Any suggestions???????

TIA
Ed Jennings

--
jenningse_at_mindspring.com

"The opinions expressed here are my own, not those of DOMAIN
technologies"