Re: Database Designer - opinions? alternatives?

From: Andrew Hodgson <andrew_at_tcamiga.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/16

In article <34e77535.28853295_at_nntp.ix.netcom.com>, Tom McMahon <temcm_at_ix.netcom.com> writes
>I'm trying out a demo of Database Designer from Oracle.
>First impression - very nice. Second impression - kinda pricey.
>
>What does anyone else think of this product?
>
>Are there popular, well_thought_of alternatives?
>
>I'm trying to "trade up" from Access, from which I now make my living,
>to Oracle. I foresee data conversion to and from, and data warehousing
>as hot.
>
>I'm independent, and I own P0_7.2 (advice on support/upgrade would be
>appreciated, too - Bronze [24x7] is about $200 - Seems OK if it's
>really worth it for a newbie like me).

Visio Pro offers an alternative, if you're only looking for a diagramming package. It has a wizard which produces E-R diagrams for most ODBC databases (including Oracle).

Suggest you go for the Service contract too, as we've found it can be invaluble when it comes to upgrading, as Oracle drop their 'MATURE' products (their words not mine) like a sack of shit after a year or two.

           |    Andrew Hodgson - Andrew_at_tcamiga.demon.co.uk   |
           |                     www.tcamiga.demon.co.uk      |
           |  Amiga 1200 030 33Mhz    |       6x86 P150+      |
           | 250Mb HD   HD Disk Drive | Quad Spd CD 5.3 Gb HD |
           | 6Mb Ram | CDTV | Motorola SurfR 56K |  80Mb Ram  |
                           Resistance is futile...