Ideas on OLE2 for web deployment?

From: Adrian G. Klingel <klingela_at_nospam.nt.com>
Date: 1998/02/16

  Hello Everybody,

     I've got this problem: I'm developing in Forms 5.0 (which I know is buggy). I'm using the OLE2 package (which doesn't work, but is supposed to be fixed in the next release) to integrate my application with MS Office apps like Word, Excel, and Exchange. Got Exchange going no problem. Unfortunately, I'm making calls to the user's machine on which the app is running. We're shooting for a partial (and eventual) web deployment, so this stuff won't work through the Forms Cardridge, because of Java's security restrictions (inability to access client-side disk drive or memory outside of protected area). Has anybody brainstormed their way through something similar? I'm trying to consider my options, but I'm coming up blank. I want this app to be consistent regardless of deployment, but I still want to include the fancy stuff. Thanks so much for any help you can offer. To reply to me, remove the "nospam" from the email address.

Adrian Klingel
app developer
consultant
all opinions expressed are my own Received on Mon Feb 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message