What are the adavantages on Packages?

From: <dave_at_digidem.com>
Date: 1998/01/28

[Quoted] I have a set of stored procedures that i am calling from a series of OCI programs. I need to define a package to hold a global cursor variable in order to process the result sets, but should i put these procs into packages? What is the advantage to using packages? I understand the advantage of stored procedures (in memory, pre-parsed,...) but do packages have any additional benefits beyond encapsulating the procedures?

I have 3 options that i can take - any comments as to the advatages/disadvatages to these:

  1. all stored procedures exist as a stand-alone stored procedure 2. group my stored procedures into several different packages by functionality 3. create 1 huge package that contains all of the stored procedures that i am going to call from my OCI program.

From the OCI programmers point of view there is no difference, from the PL/SQL programmers point of view there is almost no difference. So then what option is best?

Thanks for any help!

-david m rosner

      http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet Received on Wed Jan 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CET