Re: SQL*Net & ODBC

From: <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/01/28

"Paul Scrivens" <paul_at_pscriv.globalnet.co.uk> writes:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Please could I get an argument settled ?
>
> I believe that when a P/C application is connected through ODBC to an
> Oracle database, SQL*Net is also being used as part of the "pipe", i.e. the
> client app talks to ODBC, which talks to SQL*Net, which talks to the
> listener process, which talks to the server then back the other way.
>
> Is this true ?

Almost. :-) The ODBC driver and SQL*Net are linked into the executable, so there is no network connection between the two.

As to the network connection, the listener is used to connect the client to the server. Once the connection has been set up, the listener no longer participates in the connection. The client talks directly to the server.

Hope this helps.

--
                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman