Re: Oracle very slow.

From: Jeff Wyant <wyant_at_wcoil.com>
Date: 1998/01/21

> I've done some more research on my problem and I think I know where my
> problem lies, but I don't know how to fix it. The way our system is setup we
> have four database tables that we call buffer tables. These four tables are
> where the records from the shop floor are first written. There are then four
> stored procedures that read a single record from each of the tables and
> processes it. As part of this to insure I have a single record I use
> rownum=1. I then need to delete this record. I am using a date time field
[Quoted] > that has an index on it and the rownum=1 like:

Delete from prc_buffer1where process_date = ws_process_date

    and rownum =1.

When there are more than a couple hundred records this delete seems to slow [Quoted] way down. I believe it is doing a table scan to find the record. Is there another way to do this. I need to make sure I get only one record and that [Quoted] this is the record that is deleted. I cannot be sure there are not two records [Quoted] with the same date & time. The only other field is the actual data record which is up to 255 characters. Thanks for your help. Received on Wed Jan 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message