Re: SQLNet 2.3 & Network Drive

From: Chris Hamilton <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/01/13

[Quoted] Sam wrote in message <34BAF21B.D0A_at_megsinet.com>...

>I've always put my tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files on
>a network drive instead of on each client. Now we are
>installing SQLNet 2.3.3 and Oracle tells us they don't
>support this practice - that these files should be
>local to each client.

They may not "officially" support it, but that's certainly a 100% viable solution. I used to do the same thing on a NetWare LAN.

There's lots of things that work quite well that Oracle says "don't do" for the reason that they don't want to deal with it if you run into a problem. Hand-edited tnsnames files are another. As long as you're careful with the syntax and parentheses and such, they work fine, Oracle knows it, they probably do it themselves internally!

Chris Received on Tue Jan 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message