Des2000 Web-app Access Problems (Raptor firewall)

From: <dparanka_at_sloanslake.com>
Date: 1997/12/16

Any advice on the following?

HTTP requests from the outside world have not been able to access our Web site’s Oracle application (we’re running Oracle Webserver with Des/2000 - generated applications).

We suspect it’s a firewall and/or an IP addressing problem. The HTTP requests are received by a workstation, outside the firewall, running O’Reilly’s WebSite software. This machine has a valid IP address, and there are no problems with external access to the HTML pages here.

The Oracle applications and database reside inside the firewall, on an IBM RS6000. This machine has an "artificial" IP address, in other words, it’s recognizable only by our internal network (this may be a problem).

We are using the Raptor firewall software. I think we need advice in these two areas: 1. What IP address should we specify in the hyperlink that invokes an Oracle module (it takes the form {IP address}:8000/{virtual directory}/{module name}$.startup)? Should it be the IP address of Raptor? Should it be the IP address of the router that receives external e-mail traffic? 2. Raptor wants to know what type of protocol it should let through - choices include HTTP, HTTPS, EXEC, etc.

Any advice and/or sources of information such as white papers, etc would be greatly appreciated. Please respond to dparanka_at_sloanslake.com.