Re: Can Forms 4.5 do splash screens?

From: Michael A. Rife <MRife_at_admin.usf.edu>
Date: 1997/12/02

Yes. What I have seen done is to code an executable program (like Visual Basic) to display the splash graphic. The one I saw had animation in it. That executable is called in the PRE-FORM trigger via the Windows internal run call. (The actual name of the Windows internal run call procedure slips my mind right now. Research Forms FFI to find it.) You have to use Foreign Function Interface (FFI) to call the Windows internal procedure. You can use the FORMS HOST command, but the Forms' execution is halted until the splash executable completes. This kills the purpose of the splash screen. The Windows internal run call allows your splash screen to run while the Form continues to execute.

Call Oracle Support. They have a white paper on writing a splash screen. Also ask for the FFI white paper to allow you to use the Windows internal run call. You may be able to search WWW.ORACLE.COM for "SPLASH" or "FFI" and find something there. You can also look at the Forms demo directory for demonstrations of FFI.

In article <3481EBAB.A9109819_at_deakin.edu.au>, carterp_at_deakin.edu.au says...