Tool to create an intranet app that creates an app

From: Tom Oniki <toniki_at_ihc.com>
Date: 1997/11/25

I want to create an intranet form that allows a user to perform complex, somewhat ad-hoc queries on Oracle databases. A simple hypothetical example: a form that allows the user to create a query that says, "Find all instances in which a customer purchased a yellow raincoat within 1 day after purchasing an umbrella." The form would allow the user to build this query by showing him available databases, tables, and fields (or maybe just fields to avoid confusion) and allowing him to select. It would allow him to choose search criteria ("yellow", "1 day") by presenting input boxes or check boxes. The results would then be returned (graphically or tabularly).

Now the catcher -- I'd like the form to store the query and give the user the option to have the system run it at a certain time every night so the user can then just come in in the morning and review the results. In essence, the form creates another app that runs and generates results.

I guess what I'm talking about is separation of the business logic from the database and the presentation.

What tool will easily allow me to do something like this? Cold Fusion? WebObjects? Visual Interdev? Intrabuilder? Other? Received on Tue Nov 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message