Re: UTL_FILE help

From: Joseph S. Testa <jtesta_at_scioto.net>
Date: 1997/11/17

Geoffrey Callaghan wrote:

> I am trying to use the UTL_FILE package to access a text file on my client
> machine. I have set the directory as accessible in the INIT.ORA file on
> the server, making sure it is case sensitive. Are there any other tricks
> to this that I am unaware of? Even Feuerstein has little to say on the
> subject.

If you have a database server(ie: like unix), the utl_file package is used to read files from where the database sits. So if you are running client/server, utl_file will NOT read a file from your client PC but only from the database server.

Hope that helps.

If you're running, on NT, WIN95, Novell then you can read files on the machine where the database is, I run w95 and po8, and read and write files on my pc.

joe

--
Joseph S. Testa, Oracle Database Administrator, mailto:jtesta_at_scioto.net
(home)