Re: Please HELP - Forms 4.5

From: Alex Heney <a.j.heney_at_btNOinterSPAMnet.com>
Date: 1997/11/13

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:29:31 GMT, am_balshem_at_fccc.edu (Andrew M. Balshem) wrote:

>We've a very simple forms 4.5 application (10 fields). ID and SPECIES
>fields cannot be null. I've a trigger on both fields to make certain
>that neither are null.. When I enter the form my first enterable
>field is ID and the cursor is placed there. If I click anywhere
>prior to entering the ID I receive an error (that I must enter ID) as
>I should. However, after I've entered ID if I use my mouse to skip
>over the SPECIES field I don't get a similar error unless I've first
>entered the SPECIES field. I've tried using each of the WHEN-MOUSE...
>triggers to no avail. I do have a pre-insert/update trigger that
>checks that both fields are not null & these do prevent commiting bad
>data to the database. I would, however, like to write a trigger to
>immediately inform the user that SPECIES cannot be null whenever
>they've used a mouse to skip over the field. Any solution?

The easiest way is to not allow them into any other field until both the mandatory fields are present.

This can be done by disabling them, but then their appearance is different. If you do not want this, then set the NAVIGABLE property to FALSE, and to prevent mouse navigation, create a WHEN-NEW-ITEM-INSTANCE trigger at block level, which checks the navigable property of the current item and calls the next_item built-in if not navigable.

You then check for a value in BOTH fields in each of their WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM triggers, and if both have a value, you set the other fields navigable.

--

Alex Heney,  Global Villager

Remove NO and SPAM from the above address if replying by email.