Re: Creating builder sql script with sql

From: Dan Clamage <clamage_at_mime.dw.lucent.com>
Date: 1997/11/04

Hi Don!
I wrote a PL/SQL package that reverse engineers a schema. You run it from SQL*Plus. It prints syntactically correct CREATE…, ALTER…, GRANT… statements for existing tables, secondary indexes, constraints, views, synonyms, grants and sequence objects. It took me 3 weeks to write (along with normal workload).
When I was doing the constraints part (foreign, primary, unique, check (other than NOT NULL which were done in the create table section)), it really helped to define the constraint and then examine the data dictionary view dba_constraints to see what was actually stored and how it was organized. It was a bit of effort, but I really learned a lot about it. I compiled the package as SYS using the dba_* views so that any user could reverse engineer any schema (and have just one global copy of the package stored in the data dictionary).
- Dan Clamage

Don Fraser <don_at_clear.net.nz> wrote in article <63nfu3$hou_at_granny.mac.co.nz>...