Re: Help about validation in Forms 4.5

From: Peter H. Larsen <plen_at_novo.dk>
Date: 1997/10/27

Hi,
Seems that a few ppl have already replied some good hints for you. But please bear in mind, that KEY-PRVFLD does NOT validate the field as a standard rule. This does not mean you can commit or leave the record unverified, but you can navigate BACK to previous fields without validating the current field. It's an OLD forms feature, dating back to 2.0. Every other navigational key will fire the validation.

Another note is, that validation only occurs after change. But non-database fields are marked as changed even during query, so be sure to check for :system.query-mode != 'QUERY' if you have an when-validate-item trigger defined on them.

If I may direct your attention to the Forms Reference Manual, part II - Chapter 8D - "Validate the Item". This chapter describes the process in details.

  • Peter H. Larsen