Re: Forms Queries

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/10/16

In article <01bcd8f3$28dc25a0$ad0b6d93_at_l8ip173.delm.tas.gov.au>,   "Mark Parssey" <markpa_at_delm.tas.gov.au> wrote:

> As a newbie I hope some one can tell me if/how to make forms queries that
> are a little more complex.
>
> The basics are Ok. ie =,<,> value, or like using %, and am able to enter a
> no. of fields.
>
> But how can I do an is null & how can I do an AND or OR.

Visit my web site, and follow the link to the QA User Guide, then click (or scroll down to) the "Complex Queries" section. The text there describes using my QA form, but it also applies to any default form.

Here is some of the text:

Using # ------- In Enter Query mode, you can use the # character in any column followed by a select condition. You can think of the # character as the phrase, "where Column_Name...". Examples:

          #IS NOT NULL
          #BETWEEN 'A' AND 'D'

To help you enter a '#' phrase in a narrow column, you can press the Edit key, Ctrl-e (Lower case 'e' only). This opens an editor window where you can enter the '#' character and a phrase for the specific column.

Query/Where Window ------------------ Instead of (or in addition to)
using the # character described above, you can specify complex queries and an Order By clause during the "Enter Query" process. To do this, key a colon character (:) in any one of the fields. When you press Execute Query (F8), a Query/Where window will pop up. On this window you can enter one or more conditions to select rows from the table exactly as you would in a SQL Where clause. (Do not type the word "where".)

Pressing F10 (Accept/Commit) or clicking the OK button will process the query.

Ordering Your Display --------------------- In the Query/Where window
accessed via use of the colon, you can specify an "order by" clause on the same window. Type the entire clause beginning with the words "order by". It can either be specified alone on the window, or follow the query selection conditions.

Steve Cosner

http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 Download QA, a dynamic data utility form-- Quick display and update access to any table.