Re: Passing parameters between forms in Developer 2000

From: Venkat0 <venkat0_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/10/07

>I am trying to pass parameter info from one form to another and have that
>info appear in a block that is not associated with a table. The called form
>appears, currently, but the passed parameter information is not appearing
>in the field associated with the block. Under "When-new-block-instance" I
>copy the parameter information to the block field, using the copy command.
>Why doesn't this work? What will work,if this won't.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Lauren

Hey Lauren,

U need to do the following things:
1. In theWhen-New-Forms-Instance Trigger, declare local variables to capture  the parameters and use the built-in GET_PARAMETER_ATTR(pl_id_or_name,  param_name, param_data_type, local_variable) where

pl_id_or_name = the parameter list ID or name that u are passing
param_name = actual name of the parameter. Ex. v_salary etc..
param_data_type = data type of the parameter list. Usually this will be
 TEXT_PARAMETER.  Even if you have some numbers being passed, declare your
 local variable in the new form as a varchar2 and then convert it into a  numeric type after capturing the value
and local_variable is the variable that you define and use to capture the value  of the parameter that is being passed.

2. U follow the above procedure for all the parameters that are being passed  (i.e., declare as many local variables and capture the parameter values in the  When-New-Form-Instance trigger).

3. After you are done capturing these values, you can manipulate the parameters  as you want and place them wherever you want.

4. If all the above stuff seems too complicated, then try this simple  alternative.

In the called form, create all the parameters are being passed to     the form.
  U create these under the PARAMETERS Node in     the Object Navigator.
NOTE: The names of these parameters must exactly be the same as the parameters  being passed.
That's it. You have the parameters and their values in your called form. You  refer to them using :PARAMETER.param_name.

The disadvantage of this alternative is that, you create an overhead when  create these parameters in your form i.e., you have to create them and store  them as part of the form. However, in the first method, you just use them on  the fly without incurring any overhead of creating the parameters. Received on Tue Oct 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message