Re: Forms 3.0 Any one still using it ???

From: Mario <mario.simic_at_in2.tel.hr>
Date: 1997/09/14

engsys_at_merlion.singnet.com.sg wrote in article <5vacgu$rfm$1_at_columbine.singnet.com.sg>...

> Hi there,
>
> If anyone is using forms 3.0, i have a question.
> I have a form which fetches data from different tables
> into the form by a cursor and populates it into the form.
> It fetches records upto 80 or 90 faster and then onwards
> it takes about a second for each record fetched.
>
> Can anyone suggest something to speed up the
> fetch.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> prasad.

The problem is in buffer size block property. When the number of rows fetched is greater than buffer size which is nothing else but array in memory, Forms 3.0xx opens a temporary file and uses that file as a buffer. Usually, this can be solved by increasing buffer size, but maximum value of this parameter is finite and very low on some platforms ( DOS for example ), I had a similar problem few years ago. I had few DOS clients connected by Novell Netware. Forms 3xx files were installed on server, and default directory for temporary files was on server too, not on local machine. The performance was very poor when fetching more than let's say 50 records. If you cant increase buffer size, try again after adding more memory. If nothing helps try declaring local directory as temporary, perhaps directory on RAM disk.
On the other hand, if your application is centralised and everything is held on one UNIX machine, you shouldn't have this problem.

I hope it helps.

Mario SImic
IN2 d.o.o.
Zagreb, Croatia Received on Sun Sep 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message