Call Shell Script from Stored Proc

From: Eric Herbert <eriche_at_gr.hp.spamsux.com>
Date: 1997/09/03

Here I go again:
[Quoted] I was wondering if someone could point me towards some help.

Specifically:

My user fires up his form. He updates some data in one of the tables. His form has a button that calls a stored procedure on the (of course) server that massages some data and creates a text file on the server using the UTL_FILE built in. All of this is fine and dandy.

NOW- we need the stored procedure to issue a command to the UX operating system that will launch a shell script that ftp's this text file to a different server. How can we call a shell script from a stored procedure, or even off a client form for that matter? Any ideas?

[Quoted] I seem to remember that this is impossible, but it seems like it would be needed by so many people there must be a way.

TIA,
air
ick

ps- please note I crossposted this. Send followups to the appropriate newsgroup only.

--

+ Eric Herbert | eriche_at_elroy.gr.hp.com | (970) 350-4761 | AirIck + + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + + "I have discovered, in 20 years of moving around a ballpark, + + that the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse + + proportion to the price of the seats." - Bill Veeck +