Re: Sedona is Dead - What options for Oracle8 Objects?

From: Christian Kaas <c.kaas_at_odn.de>
Date: 1997/09/01

I personally use borlands Delphi and C++ Builder to do object orientied development with RDBMSs like Oracle. As soon as the final JBuilder version from borland is out (Sep. 1997) i give it a try for the JAVA stuff.

Delphi 3 seems to be the best OOP tool for developing Windows apps in term of RAD. Even really serious OOP programs can be done with it. if you buy the C/S version like i did you get an excellent tool for doing oracle/windows development with true exe-files, fast sql-connections, full server controls, acrivex support (using and creating) and much more ! For more details you can email me !

BTW : I never thought Oracle is able to make really usefull front-end dev tools since i have to use Designer/Developer 2000. their product managers and/or developers seems to be much too far away from what the user (we corporate and freelance c/s devs) need !

Yours

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 12:58:17 +1000, Mal Heseltine <mth_at_qld.mim.com.au> wrote:

>Why did Oracle officially kill off the Sedona project forever? It would
>seem they will lose a huge amount of credibility over this. Especially
>with all the hype of the object-relational Oracle8 DB.
>
>What options are available now (besides a hell of a lot of C
>programming) for developing object-oriented apps utilising oracle8?
>
>Are Oracle serious about furthering object extensions to the DB if they
>can't be bothered providing a development environment to utilise them?
>Has it all become too hard for Oracle? They surely can't be serious
>about their excuse for dropping Sedona in that it would compete against
>Developer 2000. I would of thought it would be a golden opportunity to
>get even more market share. I don't expect Developer 2000 will provide a
>platform for developing scalable 3-tier C/S apps in the near future so I
>just don't understand their decision. Are they banking everything on
>NCA? - geez, I hope not!
>
>Seems to me they're going to let the market decide if there's any future
>in the object-relational model by waiting to see what take up there is
>by customers of third-party products utilising oracle8 objects. They
>could well write-off the object extensions as a failed experiment
>sometime down the track. Lets face it, it would be several releases
>(8.3?) before the object extensions actually become useful for any real
>object-oriented development as there are some important features missing
>such as inheritance.
>
>Unless you have some dramatically big VLDB's or performance issues with
>your DB, I can't imagine why anyone would be in a hurry to go to
>Oracle8.

Christian Kaas
Client/Server development and consulting Fax. 49-9129-5518
Phone 49-9129-5508 Received on Mon Sep 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message