Re: VB5 & Oracle & SPs & Owner Names

From: Mike Hackett <sharmike_at_voicenet.com>
Date: 1997/08/20

 Another approach might be to use Oracle's Objects for OLE. It will be part of the client installation
on Oracle 7.3 server cd's (Win95 or NT). Last I checked it was up to v 2.0.7. There is a help file and
a type lib (something like oip20.tlb). This Automation server communicates directly with the Oracle
OCI, bypassing ODBC and letting you call packaged procedures, get return values from procs,
use bind variables, etc.
It's also available from Oracle's web site http://www.oracle.com/download or FTP.
The release notes suggest that there should be a newer version by now, but I haven't seen anything.
As an alternative, you could code directly to the Oracle OCI. Seems to me that if it can be done with
C, Cobol, and Fortran, it should be possible in VB. If any hearty souls have ever attempted this, I'd
certainly be interested in hearing about it.

-Mike

gtr43839_at_glaxowellcome.com wrote in article <872025501.647_at_dejanews.com>...