Re: Stopping sequence increments

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1997/07/05

move the seq_name.NEXTVAL into your pre-insert trigger.

Dave Mausner (dmausner_at_brauntech.com) wrote:

: In article <42Ni3EAVSEuzEwAz_at_markhide.demon.co.uk>, Mark Hide <mch_at_markhide.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: >
: >Can anyone explain why and suggest a remedy for the following:
: >
: >In my master-detail form (Forms 4.5) where master block is query-only,
: >detail block has a Primary Key field generated by a sequence.
: >
: >Why does the detail block generate a new record and thus increment the
: >sequence for every new query on the master block. (many of the master
: >records have no corresponding details).

: if the trigger references sequence_name.NEWVAL then of course a new value is : created every time. perhaps the wrong trigger type is in use.

: --
: Dave Mausner, Consulting Manager, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you