Forms 4.5 Question: How to determine the block you just came from?

From: Todd Owers <toddo_at_gcr1.com>
Date: 1997/07/02

[Quoted] [Quoted] Is there a way to navigate back to the block you just came from?

I am developing an application with multiple blocks, and I would like to include an "About" box on my Help menu. The book "Developing Oracle Forms Applications", by Albert Lulushi, recommends creating a control block named "ABOUT" with one item, a "Close" button, so this is what I have done.

I must navigate out of the "ABOUT" block in order for the window to close. Because this block can be called from any other block in the module, I want to be able to determine which block was the current block prior to navigating to the "ABOUT" block, so that input focus returns to the same place it was when the user invoked Help -> About, and the user sees no disruption.

The system variable System.Trigger_Block does not do the trick, because after the "Close" button is pressed, its WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger is invoked, so the value of that variable is 'ABOUT'.

Of course, the built-in PREVIOUS_BLOCK does not work either, because it navigates to the block with the next highest sequence number, which may not be the block you want.

Perhaps I need to go about this in a different way. (E.g., Is there a way to display an About box without actually navigating to an "ABOUT" block?)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Todd Owers
ToddO_at_gcr1.com Received on Wed Jul 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message