Re: editing in sql*plus

From: Eric Hartzenberg <eric_at_erichome.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/29

In article <5p0fl2$fla_at_news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>, Gerhard Moeller <Gerhard.Moeller_at_OFFIS.Uni-Oldenburg.de> writes
>Hi, the line editing in sql*plus is awksome. sql*plus supports the
>edit command but that's about it. Arrowkeys do not work, a history is
>not supported. Beeing like that, any to-date shell is far ahead in its
>editing capabilities.
>
>Am I missing something? Can the arrowkeys and history be enabled for
>SQL*Plus?
>
>(System rdbms 7.3.2 on dec alpha osf 3.2)
>

> Gerhard.
If you have a Windows setup and can connect to your database(s) via SQL*Net, then you could try (cue drum roll)....

Golden Retriever (the name alone is worth the registration fee).

Basically, it's a point-and-click SQL*Plus, running from Windows (3.x or 95). Lots of nice features - I particularly like the way it handles returned rows, putting them into a spreadsheet format. SQL can be built by clicking on table-names, column-name & reserved words.

It has its 'features' (what shareware doesn't?) but I can recommend it to anyone who has ever had to type

        ar_receivable_applications.applied_customer_trx_id

Check it out on http://www.tiac.net/users/markford/

BTW, I have no relationship with the author, financial or otherwise.

| Email    : eric_at_erichome.demon.co.uk   Compuserve  : 100073,21 |
| Homepage : www.erichome.demon.co.uk                            |