Process ASCII file and Print Report

From: D Morrow <morrowd_at_ci.portsmouth.va.us>
Date: 1997/06/20

I'm looking for suggestions on how I might handle the following scenerio:

     I have a text file containing multiple records read and processed. After all records are processed, an output report should be printed based on the data processed. We are currently running Forms 4.5, Reports 2.5, and Oracle 7.2. Because the UTL_FILE functions are not available to me, I am using the client-side TEXT_IO functions to read the input file.

(1)These procedures will be run for several applications nightly. What
would be the best way to kick off the processes without the operator having the screen tied up waiting on each process?

(2) How best to create and print the output report after the file has been
processed. Should I Insert records into a temp table and create report via Oracle Reports? If I use TEXT_IO to create the output report, how do I automatically send the file to the printer?

I don't know if I've explained the situation thoroughly, but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance,
Donna Received on Fri Jun 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message