OO4O Data Control: NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME

From: Tim Romano <tim_at_ot.com>
Date: 1997/06/13

The latest release of the 32-bit Oracle data control that is shipping with the commercial (non-trial) release of OO4O (version 2.1) works none too well with the latest Sheridan DataWidgets (www.shersoft.com) or with the Microsoft VB4 DBCombo. I suspect the problem resides with the data control.

I get DocWatsons with the Sheridan ssDBCombo; once, my VB4 app just went away --POOF! -- when I clicked on the ssDBCombo.

With the MS-DBCombo, the error is less severe: a (spurious) error 1407 that a mandatory column cannot be set to null. The error is spurious because there are only two mandatory columns on my bare-bones test form: ID and LastName, and both of these columns were bound to edit controls that were correctly populated with data. The second data control, which populates the combos' lists is set to ReadOnly. And the bound column of the combo is not mandatory to begin with.)

These crashes and errors cease when I remove the ssDBCombo or the MS-DBCombo and substitute a simple text control, further evidence that leads me to suspect that this problem is located with the Oracle data control.

I called Oracle Tech Support and they have been able to duplicate the error with the MS-DBCombo.

Tim Romano
Swarthmore PA Received on Fri Jun 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message