Re: Interactive Scripts, return codes

From: Martyn Cavett <cavett_at_anonymous.com>
Date: 1997/06/06

[Quoted] As far as returning error codes from ORACLE go - include at the beginning of your SQL script files a line such as

ON SQLERROR THEN EXIT ROLLBACK; [Quoted] This will immediatelly abort the script and rollback work before exiting if there are any SQL errors raised (un-handled exceptions).

There is a variant to this that will pass back any SQL error codes to the parent shell script and can then be handled by the script with appropriate logic steps - check 'SQL*Plus guide' for details.

I'm sure their are better qualified people out there that can advise on the UNIX scripting side. . .

Best of luck (nb. see note at end)

  • Martyn Cavett Senior ORACLE Analyst LGT Asset Management London, UK. home: cavett_at_globalnet.co.uk work: Martyn.Cavett_at_gtplc.com

These views are my own and not those of my employer. Normal conditions apply.

Programming <sysdev_at_mb.sympatico.ca> wrote in article <339703AA.9D0_at_mb.sympatico.ca>...
> Interactive scripts in Unix.
> Return codes from Oracle, or Unix.

 <snip>

> The other thing that I want to do,
> is to check the return codes from
> Oracle, and abort if the commands
> failed. How can this be accomplished?
> How could I branch to another part of
> the script?
> Would the return code be from Unix,
> or from Oracle?

The return code is raised by ORACLE and handled in a shell script. Received on Fri Jun 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message