Bulk appends to Oracle via ODBC from Access 2.0 very slow. Alternatives / Optimisation?

From: GPITS team <mail_at_gcs-gpits.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/05

I am using Access 2, Oracle 7 and Oracle's own 16 bit ODBC driver (version 1.11.01.05)

I want to append an Access table with a few thousand rows to the Oracle database and performance is unacceptabl slow (3 minutes).

I use a standard Access append query and an attached Oracle table. The Oracle table has a unique ID and is updateable by Access.

When I trace the ODBC calls, I find that it is doing several thousand seperate inserts on the server (one for each row) and plugging the values in, line by line. I had expected that ODBC would be able to send data in a more efficient manner than this. Am I doing something wrong?

If not do I have any alternatives for doing bulk uploads of Data to Oracle?

As the Oracle server resides on a UNIX box, I would have to ftp a text file across to import the data into Oracle using its standard insert tools.

Is there an Oracle client program for Windows / DOS that will append a text file on my local drive onto the Oracle server via SQL net. I would want to be able to do this transparentlty to the user, via a batch file triggered by Access Received on Thu Jun 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message